This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Friday, December 8, 2017

50/50 Friday (62): Newest/Oldest Book You Own

50/50 Friday is a meme hosted by Carrie @The Butterfly Reads and I and focuses on the opposite sides of books (best/worst, differing opinions, etc).  Every week will have a new topic and several advance topics will be listed in the tab labeled 50/50 Friday!

Today's Topic: Newest/Oldest Book You Own


Newest:
So you could take this in a couple different directions.  I'm choosing to do the newest book in terms of when I bought it so this is the last book I bought!


Standalone to date

Blurb:
"Jazz Bashara is a criminal.

Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent.

Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first."


I literally just bought this book about three days ago and also just finished reading it!  I loved The Martian so I really wanted to read this book ASAP.  My review will be up on Wednesday but in the meantime I'll tell you that I loved it; especially the dry wit (which is exactly my sense of humor) and the technical aspects.  This is also the newest book I own according to release date as well!  It was released in the middle of November and currently, I don't have any ARC's in my possession.


Oldest:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1

Blurb:
"Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse—Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends—one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena—Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods."


Before you say anything, yes I did have other books before this one but I was young and I don't really remember their titles all that well (I do remember the Animal Ark series).  This book was the first book that I asked for, though, and that I thought of as the book that really jumpstarted my true love of reading.  It's the first 'grown-up' book I had and I loved rereading this series!  I really should do a reread soon...


Standalone to date

Blurb:
"Brought up in the household of a powerful Baron, Candide is an open-minded young man, whose tutor, Pangloss, has instilled in him the belief that 'all is for the best'. But when his love for the Baron's rosy-cheeked daughter is discovered, Candide is cast out to make his own way in the world.

And so he and his various companions begin a breathless tour of Europe, South America and Asia, as an outrageous series of disasters befall them - earthquakes, syphilis, a brush with the Inquisition, murder - sorely testing the young hero's optimism."


Just for fun, the oldest book I own in terms of release date is Candide by Voltaire.  It was released in 1759 and is part of the first dawn of the novel.  Granted, I did have to read it for a class, but I decided to keep my copy because I ended up liking it a fair bit and thought I'd want to reread it at some point in my life.



Have you read any of these?  What did you think of them?  What are the newest/oldest books you own (either in purchase date or release date)?  Make a post and link up below!


Next Week's Topic: Favorite/Least Favorite Sidekick

6 comments:

  1. Ooo! There’s lots of different directions you could have taken with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still never read The Lightning Thief. I feel I am way too far behind to even start that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... sometimes it's probably best to just let series' go. There are a fair number of series' that were published back in the early days of YA that I haven't gotten to and I don't know if I ever will. Thanks for stopping by, Carrie!

      Delete
  3. I love the Percy Jackson series so much- Riordan is just the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's just so nostalgic and wonderful. I definitely need to do a reread soon! Thanks for stopping by, Lauren!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...