This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Friday, July 28, 2017

50/50 Friday (43): Place You Buy the Most/Least Books


50/50 Friday is a meme hosted by Carrie @The Butterfly Reads and I and focuses on the opposite sides of books (best/worst, differing opinions, etc).  Every week will have a new topic and several advance topics will be listed in the tab labeled 50/50 Friday!

I AM GETTING BACK ON TRACK FINALLY!  (can you hear the conviction in the all caps?)

Today's Topic: Place You Buy the Most/Least Books


Most:


I actually don't buy a whole lot of books but the ones I do are hardcovers I order from Amazon.  I have Amazon Prime so everything is free 2 day shipping which makes my bookworm heart happy.  And, once in a blue moon, I'll preorder a book (looking at you, ACOWAR) and it'll come from Amazon.  I really wish I could support more independent bookstores but there's like one in the city I live in and it's pretty far away which doesn't help me out much.




Least:

Independent Bookstores

Like I mentioned above, I really don't have any independent bookstores near me so I almost never buy a book from one.  If I'm traveling and I come across one, I may buy a book but that's about it.  I just don't buy many books, as crazy as that sounds!  A close second for me is Netgalley as well, actually.  I'm pretty sure I have a profile but I never use it.  I keep meaning to but I keep accepting review requests from authors and publishers who contact me directly.  I should really get on that!




So there you have it!  Where do you buy/get the most/least books?  Do we share any?  Do you have many independent bookstores near you?  Make a post and link up down below!


Next Week's Topic: Best/Worst Book Read in July

18 comments:

  1. I buy lots of books but sadly, like you, it's never from independent books stores. I have like one in my area and it's a used bookstore so I buy there occasionally but they don't always have what I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's really sad especially when you're in the mood to just browse through a comfy book store. Ordering online does have a certain efficiency to it, though, which is nice. Thanks for stopping by, Jenny!

      Delete
  2. Where I live there aren't many indie bookstores either! There's a book barn almost two hours from where I live and it's nice, but it's so out of the way. I usually just end up going to the closest barnes & noble because I like looking through books in person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so disappointing, isn't it? I hear about these movements to save independent bookstores and to support your local bookstore but the ones in my area are already gone!

      That's interesting! I actually prefer online because I can find what I'm looking for in a snap. Physical bookstores are so great for browsing though if you don't have a particular book in mind. Thanks for stopping by, Erika!

      Delete
  3. There aren't a whole lot of independent bookstores near me, though there's one in the mall near my house. I want to buy books from there more often but I have to save my money and the best way for me to do that is to buy books used.... someday I'll be able to support independent bookstores more! But for now, thrift stores are where I get most of my books. I used to buy from Amazon quite a bit but I don't too often anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used bookstores are so great! I used to go to a Half Price Books that's sort of near me and it was nice but they never had anything good in the genres that I like to read. Just a lot of self-help and gardening techniques. They're great and all, just not my type. Thanks for stopping by, Wren!

      Delete
  4. There used to be a couple of independent bookstores where I live, but they all closed years ago. I really miss the used bookstores especially. I also have Amazon Prime and I love the two day shipping. There is something extremely dangerous about getting a book you order online so quickly. Dangerous and amazing. I'm also very fond of them delivering preorders on the day of their release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness I know, right? It's terrible for me and I should really unsubscribe and switch back to regular Amazon service. I love getting preorders the day of release as well! It's awesome that I can preorder a book and not have to worry about remembering to go and get it on release day (some I still count down anyway but you know what I mean!). Thanks for stopping by, Alicia!

      Delete
  5. I have to agree with you on the book buying places! I definitely buy the most from online stores but mainly ebooks and mainly from Kobo - because that's what I read on and it's so easy.

    I hardly get to a physical bookstore these days but when I do I spend hours oggling. :) Hope you have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebooks are so wonderful! Eco friendly and slightly less expensive :)

      Haha I do too! Every time I get a new hardcover, I'll sit and admire it on my shelf next to my other books for a good 10 minutes :) Thanks for stopping by, Di!

      Delete
  6. I like independent bookstores but I can't because living abroad means that there really just aren't English books in them :( But Amazon is great for me too, and Book Depository even more so because free shipping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'd say that's definitely a pretty great problem to have in terms of conundrums. I'm always so amazed by all the things you get to experience! Still, that has to be super annoying. Thanks for stopping by, Olivia!

      Delete
  7. Amazon seems to be popular with bookworms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a magical place of words and speedy deliveries!

      Delete
  8. If I'm going to spurge and buy something new, I'll most likely look into Amazon first primarily due to the sales. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with me! I don't like spending a lot of money so the bargain is where it's at. Thanks for stopping by, Lauren!

      Delete
  9. Sadly, mine is the same! There are no independent bookstores within 100 miles of my house, so. There really isn't much of a choice for me. Though I do want to go into NYC one of these days and shop at some bookstores! Sounds like fun. And also, Amazon because money. Sad but true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrible! I really wish I could be a part of the 'save the independent bookstore' movement but it's just not possible. That sounds like so much fun!! Seriously my dream vacation :) Thanks for stopping by, Shannon!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...