This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Book Review Thursday: Rebel by Amy Tintera


Goodreads Blurb:
"Wren Connolly thought she'd left her human side behind when she does five years ago and came back 178 minutes later as a Reboot. With her new abilities of strength, speed, and healing—along with a lack of emotions—Wren 178 became the perfect soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation). Then Callum 22 came along and changed everything.

Now that they've both escaped, they're ready to start a new life in peace on the Reboot reservation. But Micah 163, the Reboot running the reservation, has darker plans in mind: to wipe out the humans. All of them. Micah has been building a Reboot army for years and is now ready to launch his attack on the cities. Callum wants to stick around and protect the humans. Wren wants nothing more than to leave all the fighting behind them.

With Micah on one side, HARC on the other, and Wren and Callum at odds in the middle, there's only one option left...

It's time for Reboots to become rebels."


Review:
It's been a while since I read Reboot - the first book in the series - but it didn't take long for me to settle back into the world Ms. Tintera built.

This is such a compelling read!  I read it all in one shot in 3 hours!  The action and mystery keep you reading right up until the last page.  Sometimes, everything was happening a bit too fast I got a little confused though.  I had to read one of the battle scenes a couple times before I got the gist.

The characters were all amazing - I especially loved Micah as the villain figure.  A lot of villains are insane or just power-hungry.  Micah was actually logical which made him that much better.  I could see where his logic was coming from even if I didn't agree with it.

Wren was fantastic as well.  Her growth throughout the book concerning her morals and how she feels about what she's done was incredible.  And the same with Callum.  It really showed the healing process.  Going along with that, I really liked the relationship between the Reboots and humans.  It was a good relationship but it was realistic.  The humans did have a change of heart rather quickly but all in all, their interactions were spot on.

Finally, I really liked the ending.  It was hopeful, but not a fairy tale ending.

Final Verdict:
A very compelling read with fantastic characters - both heroes and villains!  Sometime's it got a bit confusing and seemed rushed but all in all, the plot was pretty well configured.
4 stars


Quotes:
“You could've at least let me know you weren't dead by the way. I was actually kind of sad about that." 
"That's a pretty incredible sentiment, coming from you.” 


“I still have the scars from when they captured me and beat me in the middle of the street."
"You don't get scars."
"Emotional scars then.” 


“I sort of liked the sound of bones breaking. It was like home.” 


“Only for a minute. I'll be right back." He plopped the baby in her lap and hopped to his feet. Wren held her at arm's length and frowned. She did not appreciate that, because she immediately began wailing.
"Here," Wren said, thrusting her in my direction. "Take the mutant baby.” 


“Her smile faded to a more serious expression. "Is everything okay? With Callum?"
"Fine," I said, taking a bite of meat and avoiding her eyes.
"He's crazy about you, you know," she said softly, like I hadn't just told her things were fine. "I see other girls looking at him sometimes, and he doesn't even notice. He only sees you.”


"How... how long was I...?"
"It doesn't matter," I said.  "You're awake now."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...