This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Monday, September 22, 2014

Book Review Monday: Allegiant by Veronica Roth

On my A-Z Review page, I promised I would get around to eventually posting all of my reviews on Goodreads, here on my blog.  This is one of the first reviews I ever wrote back in 2013 (I know, SUCH a long time ago right??).  Hopefully, my review writing skills have improved since then...  Enjoy!


Goodreads Blurb:
"The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered--fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature--and of herself--while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Timesbest-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent."


Review:
Update 12/1/13
Ok so I've been thinking about the ending of this book and why the author could do such a thing. This review was written literally the second I finished the book so my thoughts about the book were ALL over the place. Anyway. I've sort of changed my mind about the ending in a way. I think it was a very mature way to end the book and not a lot of authors would go so far as to kill the main character. It separated this series from other novels in the YA category that may seem to have almost childish 'fairy-tale' endings. Ms. Roth added a whole new layer to this book and the series in general. So my final decision is that I actually loved the ending, even though it was crazy and made me crabby for the week after I finished it. So... five stars :).

Original review
Noooooooooooo! It can't end like this!! It was five stars in the beginning 3/4 of the book. It was different than all the other books in the series but it was a good kind of different. How Tris and Tobias had that fight and almost didn't get back together was a true test of their relationship that wasn't like any of the other tests.  It was a bit confusing but that was probably because of me reading too fast trying to get to the end. I definitely shouldn't have done that. It was a good ending but I also hated it. I cried and cried and almost threw the book against the wall. Tris... dies. She sacrifices herself and forgives everyone but I was counting on her and Tobias being together in the end. It was definitely unpredictable which is why I liked it but still. I hate it when the main character dies. Tris was so strong and just plain amazing and together with Tobias it was just fabulous. But then she goes and leaves Tobias all alone. I couldn't believe Ms. Roth could do that to me. I started reading this on a friends recommendation and it was really good but the last 5 chapters just ripped my heart out. This is why I docked a star. I would've been fine if Tris was just unconscious for a few days/weeks from the bullet wounds and the death serum but nooo. That would have been too predictable So I guess it was an amazing ending and it really brought the series to a close but still. Nevertheless I loved the last chapter. Tobias goes on the zip line off of the Hancock building to scatter Tris' ashes. I loved him for that since he is deathly afraid of heights. And even though I couldn't bear to think of it, Tobias actually starts to move on and accept Tris' death I hated that part but loved it at the same time.

So it was a great book... it just ripped my heart out. If you get to the end be prepared to start bawling. The ending sort of left the whole experiment thing with the other cities  open ended but I actually wasn't as bothered by that as I should have been but maybe I was just numb from Tris' death Goodness I can't stop mentioning it. I'm just in shock here so pardon the disbelief as it sinks in.

As a side note: Sorry for the review that is basically all spoilers or at least half of it is... I'm a little freaked out at the moment :).


Quotes:
“I just wanted to thank you' he says, his voice low.
'A group of scientists told you that my genes were damaged, that there was something wrong with me - they showed you the test results that proved it. And even I started to believe it.' 
He touches my face, his thumb skimming my cheekbone, and his eyes are on mine, intense and insistent.
'You never believed it,' he says 'Not for a second. You always insisted I was... I don't know, whole.” 


“She said that everyone has some evil inside them, and the first step to loving anyone is to recognize the same evil inside ourselves,so we're able to forgive them.” 


“Caleb," I say, "I love you."
His eyes gleam with tear as he says, "I love you, too, Beatrice.” 


“I love you" I say.
"I love you, too" he says. "I'll see you soon.” 


“She taught me all about real sacrifice. That it should be done from love... That it should be done from necessity, not without exhausting all other options. That it should be done for people who need your strength because they don't have enough of their own.”


“The Stiff had jumped first.
Even I didn't jump first.
Her eyes were so stern, so insistent.
Beautiful.”


“The person you became with her is worth being.” 


“I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...