This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Book Review: The Choice by Nicholas Sparks


Goodreads Blurb:
Travis Parker has everything a man could want: a good job, loyal friends, even a waterfront home in small-town North Carolina. In full pursuit of the good life -- boating, swimming, and regular barbecues with his good-natured buddies -- he holds the vague conviction that a serious relationship with a woman would only cramp his style. That is, until Gabby Holland moves in next door. Despite his attempts to be neighborly, the appealing redhead seems to have a chip on her shoulder about him...and the presence of her longtime boyfriend doesn't help. Despite himself, Travis can't stop trying to ingratiate himself with his new neighbor, and his persistent efforts lead them both to the doorstep of a journey that neither could have foreseen. Spanning the eventful years of young love, marriage and family, The Choice ultimately confronts us with the most heartwrenching question of all: how far would you go to keep the hope of love alive?


Review:
This is actually a 3.5 in my book. I'm seriously torn between a 3 and a 4 star on this one. I'm breaking my own rule and basing it almost entirely on my 6th sense opinion on the book. It was good, but not great or amazing.

What I can say is that this book had me breaking down in tears by the 3/4 mark. I actually had to set down the book for a minute because I couldn't read the words! This is a story of love, perseverance, joy, and sorrow. It made me sob, scream, yell, laugh, and so much more. A very emotional book to say the least. And yet, even with all that, it's still a 3.5 for me.

There was one thing that confused me in this entire book. The title is The Choice indicating there's a choice that will change everything. The first part of the book is all about which guy the main character will choose. She makes her choice about halfway through the book. Then part 2 starts and is set... goodness... a lot of years later. At first I was beyond bored because I thought the choice was already made and now it would just be a story of their lives. Yeah, that choice wasn't the actual one. I think. There's another decision to be made. This time it's made by the guy she ends up with. So I guess they both have a choice? That threw me through a loop. I lost interest the 20 pages after part 2 started but then perked back up as the dilemma was slowly revealed. A nasty one at that.

Overall, 3.5 stars. Both for emotion and confusion.

Have you ever read this book or any of Nicholas Sparks' books?  Did you enjoy them?


Memorable Quotes:
“How far would you go to keep the hope of love alive?” 

“There are moments when mental overload can render words impossible.” 

“He often felt that too many people lived their lives acting and pretending,wearing masks and losing themselves in the process.” 

“Staring at the stars was like staring backward in time, since some stars are so far away that their light takes millions of years just to reach us. That we see stars not as they look now, but as they were when dinosaurs roamed the earth. The whole concept just struck me as…amazing somehow.” 

“I love you, Gabby, more than you'll ever know. You're everything I've ever wanted in a wife. You're every hope and every dream I've ever had, and you've made me happier than any man could possibly be. I don't ever want to give that up. I can't.” 

“You gotta know when to be lazy. Done correctly, it's an art form that benefits everyone.”

“Love is a wonderful thing. It makes life worthwhile. I love being in love.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...